Ready, Set, Go! A free life skills & enrichment program for teens.
The Kenan Center is excited to announce a two-day series of workshops that focus on Life Skills and Enrichment for Teens. The event will be held over the course of two days to ensure a high quality, impactful experience. Students can choose either Saturday, March 19 or Sunday, March 20, 2022 from 11-5pm to attend. Workshops that will be focused but not limited to the following topics; How To Communicate Successfully in the Business World; Dealing with Stress and Emotions; How Money Works; Cooking & Hospitality Etiquette; Cultural Understanding & Awareness.
The best part? This event is FREE to local high school students! If transportation is a barrier, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can work with you to get you to the Kenan Center!
This event will take place in the form of breakout sessions throughout the Kenan Center Campus including use of the Taylor Theater and the Kenan House Gallery rooms, and will be taught by professionals in the field.
Schedule for the Day
10:30 – 11:00AM Check In
Taylor Theater, Kenan Center
11:30AM – Welcome & Keynote Speaker, Emeka Wajed, Artist/Business Owner
Taylor Theater, Kenan Center
12:15 – 3:00PM Workshops – Students will choose three workshops to attend.
Session 1: 12:15-1:00PM
Session 2: 1:15-2:00PM
Session 3: 2:15-3:00PM
Various Locations Taylor Theater & Kenan House
- How to Communicate Successfully in the Business World, Dawn Montferrante – Vice President, Human Resources,
The job you want starts with how you communicate. Learn the tools needed to properly deliver your ideas, feedback and thoughts to those around you.
- How Money Works, Mike Heburn, Level Financial Advisors
How do we properly we invest, save and spend? Learn the ins and outs of how money can be used to help us reach our goals.
- Hospitality Etiquette, Jan Ferington – Educator-Teacher, Vocalist/Television and Radio Talent/Emcee
Knowledge of etiquette in the hospitality industry is crucial to helping guests feel comfortable. Learn how to treat guests with courtesy and respect.
- Cooking, John Testa – Educator-Teacher of family consumer science
Learn the art of cooking through various methods! Become familiar with the 4 C’s; Cleaning, Cross-Contamination, Cooking & Chilling. Enjoy your creation!
- Cultural Understanding & Awareness, Dr. Anna Barrett-Speaker, Educator, International Training and Consulting Services
Our belief systems guide us. Learn how we can work together to enhance our cultural sensitivity and competence.
3:00 – 5:00PM Life Skills Fair
Taylor Theater Meeting Room
- Dealing with Stress & Emotions
- What You Need to Know Before Heading to College
- How the Law Affects Us/Working with Law Enforcement
- How to Buy Your First Car
- Before You Join the Workforce
- Girls Scouts of American
- Peace Makers
- Lockport City School District Programs
- Pinnacle Community Services
- Small Business Development